To download the complete article, please click here.
Authors: Jon Mueller and Tyler Pocock
Warranty and Certifications
Welcome to the last part of our six week discussion on the basics of electric linear actuators and factors to consider when purchasing an electric actuator. Quality is the most important value of an actuator for TiMOTION, which is why we offer a 5 year warranty on all of our mechanical parts including actuators and lifting columns, and a 2 year warranty on all of our electronic parts including controls and control boxes.
In order to standardize quality expectations within different industries and countries, companies can acquire various certifications to ensure they are producing a quality product. These certifications are important to keep in mind when you are producing a product that will be going into various markets. Some certifications that TiMOTION already holds for many industries and countries include:
(1) IEC 60601-1: IEC stands for the International Electro-technical Commission. The 60601-1 is specific to medical electrical equipment being commercialized to make sure it is operating at a safe level.
UL 60601-1: The American deviation of IEC 60601-1. UL is a nationally recognized testing lab which has their own codes. These codes are similar to IEC, however the UL code is the safety standard for the U.S.
(2) IEC 60601-1-2: This sub-section of 60601-1 specifies testing for Electromagnetic Compatibility (EMC). EMC ensures that electrical devices with electromagnetic energy do not interfere with each other in the same environment. Specific requirements and tests are done, making sure electric waves being produced by the equipment are within an acceptable range in a given environment.
(3) ISO 13485:2003 - Requires a company to demonstrate its ability to provide medical devices and related services that consistently meet regulatory requirements applicable to medical devices and related services.
Household / Furniture
(1) UL 962 – UL is a nationally recognized testing lab. The UL code is the safety standard for the U.S. The UL 962 code is a standard for household and commercial furnishings to ensure a safe product.
(2) RoHS - (Restriction of Hazardous Substances) restricts the use of hazardous materials including lead, mercury, cadmium, hexavalent chromium, polybrominated biphenyls, and polybrominated diphenyl ethers. RoHS was originated in the European market, however most products being sold in the U.S. market are also RoHS compliant. Products that are RoHS compliant include electric and electrical products found in household appliances, computing/communications equipment, consumer electronics, lighting, and many other products.
(3) BIFMA - The trade association for business and institutional furniture manufacturers. They develop, maintain, and publish safety standards which provide healthy, comfortable, and productive workspaces.
(1) ISO 9001 - Is essentially a formal document supported by management of a company that follows and measures continuous improvement and consistency of the company's standard operating procedures.
This has concluded our six part discussion on the basics of an electric linear actuator and the various factors to consider when purchasing a linear actuation system. To recap, first we discussed the common styles and configurations of an electric linear actuator. Next, we reviewed the important components inside and outside of an electric actuator that ensure its operation. Then, we covered the safety feature options that can be added to an actuator. Following that, we explained the various load and speed characteristics to consider on an electric actuator that can be adjusted to meet an applications’ needs. We followed that with the various levels of IP ratings an actuator can have for liquid and dust protection as well as lubrication that goes into an actuator. Lastly, we considered the certifications and standards that are needed to meet certain markets and countries.
If you have further questions and/or would like help with your next application, TiMOTION would be glad to assist you. We specialize in partnering with our clients while providing quality solutions for their actuation needs.